I'm not sure the moment a baby becomes a toddler but in our books we've made the jump! Knox-man has made some pretty big boy changes within the past few weeks and to be honest, it's all so bitter-sweet. Kendell and I have made a few half-hearted attempts in the last few months to get rid of Knox's binky but in all actuality, it's just been so much easier to skip the fight and tears. After a few sleepless nights we've learned that making changes like this really is a family effort/sacrifice. The pacifier has always been Knox's off switch. From the time that he was a baby we've only used it to get him to sleep. That and his blanket have been the only two things he's ever needed- no bed time story, cuddle, stuffed animal, etc. In fact, he actually enjoys going to bed and points to it when he's ready. Well, a few months back we decided it was time to rip the band-aid. We started off by cutting the nipple of the pacifier and letting him decide on his own that he was ready to get rid of it- a moron's plan really. That lasted all of 20 seconds until he remembered the was about 3 others in his drawer and one in every random toy bucket. The second attempt was the cut-it-out-cold-turkey method. Long story short this seven month pregnant, tired, and weak mother would have given anything for some more sleep. In our last and desperate attempt I walked out the back door and told Knox to 'throw it to our dog Boxer'. He looked at me like I was insane and chucked it. We waved bye-bye and that was all she wrote! A couple times over the next few days he would point to were we usually had it laying and I'd say, 'Remember you threw it to Boxer?" "Binky all gone" And he'd nod his head and close his eyes. Hallelujah!! As strange as it sounds, it was actually a bitter-sweet moment. Although I now had a successful parenting story to chalk up; picturing his binky shake as the corners of his mouth turned into a smile, or his big eye lashes closing slower with each blink until he fell asleep was all it took for me want to bag the whole thing. Pathetic I know...
In other great news, Knox also graduated to the BIG BOY BED! (aka the full in the spare room) He sleeps SO well in his crib and never even puts up a fight- he loves it actually. But Madden will soon be in the crib and dealing with the boys one at a time is in everyone's best interest- mainly mine. The first night we did our regular bedtime routine and he climbed into bed SO excited. We left the room and watched the monitor only to find him up and jumping on the bed, playing in the blinds, toys, and putting the
hidden cam ridiculously close to his face. Evey few minutes he would remember that he should be sleeping so he'd find his pillow and tuck himself back in. This happened over and over again- Kendell and I laughed so hard! It was about 15 minutes later when he came billowing around the corner into the living room were we were and had the biggest smile on his face with both hands above his head. He was so proud of himself for remembering that he could get out. It was all we could do not to keep from bringing out the soda, making popcorn and letting him party with the
big kids, but instead we laid him back down and soon he was out cold. He's never struggled since. He does however, still sleep with his blanket and I'm completely okay with that. Take it to college for all I care, buddy, enough is changing around here! Now...slide over while I lay next to you and creepily watch you sleep. :) haha
This is how cute he looked when he wanted his binky at night. The sound however, was a little less cute...
And now....
Maybe I should write a book.. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment