Saturday, October 31, 2015

General Conference Weekend

 With each General Conference comes a calming peace amongst our home and family. I have felt this since I was a little girl, crossed legged on the floor playing monopoly with my siblings while listening to the words from our Apostles.  Somehow, these four days a year hold new meaning. Words cannot begin to describe the renewing feeling these conferences now bring to me- almost a recharge for the next six months until again, my jug is filled with the words from our dear Prophet. I have always watched conference, and occasionally took notes to report back to my seminary teacher that I had fulfilled the assignment. Since being married, I have found I am more attentively listening, noting, and caring. This conference was different for me in the fact that lately I have struggled, and now more than ever I needed solutions, solutions spoken from the leaders of our church. I thirsted for it, and as I had been taught throughout my life in trying times, knelt in prayer. I prayed I would take heed to the words spoken. As the prelude music began, I felt goosebumps engulf my body. This was it. I had faith I would hear those answers. As the prayer began and silence swept the audience, I felt that same reverence come upon me. Immediately the spirit filled my home. Even Knox sat beside me and folded his arms. As he looked up at me I knew that he felt it as well. He has never been so quite or well behaved in any sacrament as he had during that moment. Teachings from each speaker built upon one another and soon I felt both inspired and determined. An overwhelming determination to make each day and person better than before, to strengthen my home and family through scripture study and prayer, and to do all I could as his servant in building the kingdom of God. I was prepared to do whatever it took to be worthy of this same feeling each and every day. The spirit testified to me that the words spoken were true, Those same questions and concerns were answered to me in a way that far exceeded my expectation. I will forever look forward to the peace and guidance these conferences bring to my home and hope my children will feel of that same peace when they too listen.
Kendell and I decided to take a drive in the desert and down to the river that conference weekend. It was a fun and memorable evening. I love my family more than words can explain, and I am so thankful for the knowledge of eternal families. The future is so, SO bright!
















No comments:

Post a Comment